MY (SUPER SIMPLE) EVERYDAY MAKEUP ROUTINE
I’ve mentioned here time and again that I’m a little clueless when it comes to makeup. I really don’t wear that much of it. This is due to two things. First, I don’t really love the way my skin looks or feels with a heavy, full face of makeup (whenever I had my makeup done for high school dances, I always ended up washing most of it off before leaving the house). The second reason is simply because I’m just not very good at applying it. I must have missed the makeup lesson as a teenager.
With that said, I do have a routine – albeit a very short and simple one – and a handful of favorite products that makeup my everyday look. (For the record: the routine stays pretty much the same for nighttime, too. The only changes might be the addition of mascara and a bolder lip color.)
Below, the eight products that I currently use (almost) every single day.
1 + 2. Laura Mercier “Illuminating” Primer + Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (Nude) // I have to combine these two because that’s exactly what I do: I mix them together. I’ve been using this tinted moisturizer for years and years. I have yet to find one I like more. It offers just the right amount of coverage and makes my skin overall look smoother. The primer (just a tiny bit!) is key because that’s what gives my skin an overall glow.
3. Koh Gen Doh Maifanshi Concealer (#2) // I have very deep-set eyes which means that even when I’m well-rested, I still have the hollows of a very tired person. I also suffer from rosacea that always flares up near the bridge of my nose. This annoying combination means I need a concealer with a lot of coverage. This concealer is the first one I’ve found that offers the coverage I need without feeling super heavy or cakey. I apply it after eye cream which makes it go on super smooth.
4. Chantecaille Le Camouflage Pen (#3) // The full name of this magic wand includes the word “Anti-Fatigue,” which really sums it up. While it doesn’t provide total coverage the way a true concealer does, this pen gets the job done by lightening and brightening the hollows underneath my eyes. I apply this over the Koh Gen Doh concealer, paying special attention to the inner-corners of eyes. I also use it to brighten the corners of my nose.
5. Chantecaille HD Powder // While I like for my skin to have a glow, I don’t want it to look too dewy. This powder sets everything. I just do one quick sweep across my forehead, down the bridge of my nose, and across my cheeks. It has a slight bronze to it and even though I’m not a big fan of bronzer, I do like the tiny hint of color it gives my skin.
6. Gucci Westman “Petal” Blush Stick or NARS “Sex Appeal” // If I were on a desert island and could only have one makeup item with me, blush it would be. I do not leave the house without blush. It wakes up my skin and makes me look alive. I am always testing out new ones but my two favorites are Gucci Westman’s blush stick (I use the “Petal” shade) and oldie-but-a-goodie “Sex Appeal” from NARS. The blush stick is the best for on-the-go touch ups. I always have it in my handbag.
7. RMS Master Radiance Highlighter // This is the newest addition to my lineup. I decided to try it on a whim and ended up really loving it. It’s the last step in my routine. I use it as a highlighter. I take the tiniest bit (read: too much and you’ll look shimmery) and tap it on the apples of my cheeks, down the bridge of my nose and right above my top lip. It gives the best glow ever. It’s the perfect finishing touch.
8. Sisley Phyto-Lip Twist (#11 Litchi) // My mom introduced me to Sisley’s lip twists years ago and I have never looked back. They feel more like a balm than a lipstick, which makes it perfect for everyday use. I have tried several different colors but my go-to is #11. It’s a great nude-pink. (If you’re after something peachier, #12 is great, too.)